He studies a variety of topics across psychology and medicine:
- Leveraging factors known to boost placebo effects may produce viable treatments for disorders (CBC, YouTube). People can experience alterations in consciousness after consuming a placebo psychedelic drug (PDF, Vice, YouTube) and can feel that they are losing control over their thoughts when placed in an elaborate “placebo machine”.
- Light exposure at the right times can reduce jet lag (Scientific American, NBC) and may also reduce fatigue and work errors in night shift workers.
- Simply naming unrelated words can measure verbal creativity (Divergent Association Task, CNN).
- Principles of performance magic can be used to improve deception in studies (PDF), influence decisions without awareness (CBC), or make people more open to opposing political views (Fast Company, YouTube).
- Smartphone addiction is increasing across the world, but a simple ten-step behavioural intervention can reduce it.
- 30 Sep 2021, 7pm Eastern: Making more than minimum wage in grad school (virtual presentation) hosted by the Canadian Positive Psychology Association, registration required.